August 11, 2005

Texas white Anglos become minority

Texas has become the fourth state to have a non-white majority, with 50.2% of Texas residents being minority. The other states are Hawaii, California and New Mexico, with Hispanics being the largest group in California and New Mexico as well as Texas, and Asians being the largest group in Hawaii.

Texas joins California, New Mexico and Hawaii as states with majority-minority populations — with Hispanics the largest group in every state but Hawaii, where it is Asian-Americans.

Five other states — Maryland, Mississippi, Georgia, New York and Arizona — aren't far behind, with about 40 percent minorities.

William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., said lawmakers need to start with immigration reform, while striving to bring minorities' education and salary levels in line with Anglos.

"Immigration is good for the United States ... it's important for us to keep our doors open, but we need to keep an eye on the people coming in," Frey said. "While initially it will be a state problem, eventually it will be a national issue, and education is the best way to deal with it."

According to demographic experts, the US will be made up of more than 50% minorities by 2050. The bulk of those will most likely be Hispanic.
(More coverage from Unpartisan, Outside the Beltway, Full of Crap & others)

Posted by mhking at August 11, 2005 07:29 PM | TrackBack

A couple of problems with that post. 1st, there is no majority in TX. Unless you divide the world into white or non white. So if there are only 2 races in the world (as the left would have you believe)then yes, whites are a minority. What you actually have in TX is a plurality.

Second, the post simultaneously refers to whites as both a minority and a majority. Which is it? When a majority is no longer a majority you need to stop calling all the other people minorities.

Which brings up the point: In 2050 if that stat becomes reality are people going to start feeling sorry for and pandering to white people because they are a "Minority?"

Posted by: KS at August 12, 2005 01:26 AM

Which brings up a subsequent point..

How do Black folks feel about illegal immigration? Last year Hispanics overtook Blacks as the largest Minority. Is there any sense of resentment that the new guys didn't quite pay their dues? I mean when telling the "Story of America" is it fitting that Hispanics slipped past Blacks just as Blacks were poised to finally overcome the legacy of the slave trade?

I think its kind of sad.

Posted by: VB at August 12, 2005 01:32 AM

> 50.2% of Texas residents being minority.

Somebody seriously needs to review their high school math. 50.2% is a majority, not a minority. The other 49.8% of Texas residents are the minority. I think what you're trying to say is that White folks are now a minority. Saying that a "majority of people are in the minority" is simple meaningless double-talk.

Posted by: qwerty at September 2, 2005 02:10 PM
Post a comment

Remember personal info?